SALINAS, Calif. – Young Scott Heckert of Ridgefield, Conn., scored his second GTS pole position of 2016 Saturday morning at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca when he drove the No. 54 Racer’s Edge Sin Car GT4 to a speed of 88.862 miles per hour in his first appearance at the famed 2.238-mile, 11-turn road circuit at the Pirelli World Challenge Championships presented by Nissan.
Heckert, winner of the GTS Round 15 at Utah Motorsports Park in August, recorded only five laps in qualifying but his one minute, 30.666 second run provisionally bettered the GTS track record of 1:31.427 set last year by veteran Jack Baldwin in the a Porsche Cayman.
“We came here and adjusted on the package we had at Sonoma,” Heckert, a former stock car racer in the Northeast, explained. “We had been running on race prep stuff earlier this weekend. Then we thought we had a good setup in qualifying trim too. This is my first time here and I was anxious to get here. I have raced it on IRace many, many times but never in person. Everyone talks about the ‘Corkscrew’ so it was great to finally go down it. It’s not the same as dropping down in real time with a race car. It’s been fantastic to drive all weekend. It’s a busy weekend for me in four different races, GTS and SprintX, but I’m really looking forward to all of it. Plenty of seat time this weekend and that is great. Overall, it’s a great track to race on and it is nice to have the best view for the first race.”
Teenager Parker Chase of New Braunfels, Tex., age 15, just missed winning his first GTS pole Saturday with his No. 19 Performance Motorsports Group Ginetta GT4 with a time of 1:30.681 (88.848 m.p.h.) for the second position followed by veteran Andrew Aquilante of Chester Springs, Pa., in the No. 37 Calvert Dynamics/Phoenix Performance Ford Boss 302 at 1:30.793 (88.738) m.p.h.).
Rounding out the top-five in GTS qualifying Saturday were Chase’s Performance Motorsports Group teammate, 17-year-old Harry Gottsacker of San Antonio, Tex., in the No. 29 Ginetta GT4 with a 1:30.900 (88.534 m.p.h.) with current GTS point leader Brett Sandberg of Allendale, N.J., at 1:31.261 (88.263 m.p.h.) in the No. 13 ANSA Motorsports KTM X-Bow.
Four-time PWC series champion and title contender Lawson Aschenbach of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., took the No. 10 Blackdog Speed Shop Chevrolet Camaro to sixth at 1:31.425 (88.125 m.p.h) with
Sonoma winner Nate Stacy of Owasso, Okla., age 16, placing seventh in GTS qualifying in the No. 14 Roush Performance Road Racing Ford Boos 302 at 1:31.576 (87.979 m.p.h.).
Twenty-one GTS machines recorded qualifying times on Saturday morning. The second GTS race of the weekend (Round 19) is scheduled for Sunday at 10:50 p.m. PDT.
Monterey, CA – Results from Saturday, Oct 8, 2016 Pirelli World Challenge Championship GTS Round19 Qualifying Round 11, part of the Grand Prix Presented by NISSAN at MRLS. All results are provisional until posted Final.
Pos. PIC, Class, Name, Hometown, Car, Fast Time
1. 1, GTS, Scott Heckert, Ridgefield CT, SIN R1 GT4, 1:30.666
2. 2, GTS, Parker Chase, New Braunfels TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:30.681
3. 3, GTS, Andrew Aquilante, Chester Springs PA, Ford Boss 302, 1:30.793
4. 4, GTS, Harry Gottsacker, San Antonio TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:30.900
5. 5, GTS, Brett Sandberg, Allendale NJ, KTM XBow GT4, 1:31.261
6. 6, GTS, Lawson Aschenbach, Palm Bch Gardens FL, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:31.425
7. 7, GTS, Nate Stacy, Owasso OK, Ford Boss 302, 1:31.576
8. 8, GTS, Aristotle Balogh, Menlo Park CA, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:31.601
9. 9, GTS, Anthony Mantella, Toronto ON, KTM XBow GT4, 1:31.654
10. 10, GTS, Max Riddle, Vancouver BC, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:31.677
11. 11, GTS, Martin Barkey, Huntsville ON, KTM XBow GT4, 1:31.782
12. 12, GTS, Jeff Courtney, Milwaukee WI, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:31.851
13. 13, GTS, James Sofronas, Villa Park CA, Porsche Clubsport GT4, 1:31.863
14. 14, GTS, George Kurtz, Scottsdale AZ, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:31.893
15. 15, GTS, Jason Wolfe, Mt Vernon OH, KTM XBow GT4, 1:31.964
16. 16, GTS, Kevin Marshall, Incline Village NV, Lotus GT4, 1:31.970
17. 17, GTS, Tony Gaples, Libertyville IL, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:32.616
18. 18, GTS, Mark Klenin, Lone Tree CO, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:32.776
19. 19, GTS, Bill Ziegler, Ponte Verdra FL, KTM XBow GT4, 1:34.403
20. 20, GTS, Greg Milzcik, Littleton CO, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:36.455
21. 21, GTS, Scott Dollahite, Austin TX, Lotus Evora, 2:08.001
22. 22, GTS, Chris Beaufait, Freeland WA, SIN R1 GT4, 59:59.999
23. 23, GTS, Jason Alexandridis, Ashland OR, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 59:59.999
24. 24, GTS, Jack Roush Jr, Livonia MI, Ford Boss 302, 59:59.999
25. 25, GTS, Ron Ballard, Phoenix AZ, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 59:59.999